Skin Health in Ayurveda
Dr. Rama Prasad
Skin is our body’s outer layer. Skin is also the largest organ with multiple functions. Its amazing to know that the 6,000 year old Ayurvedic understanding of skin is still the foundation of modern dermatology. An Ayurveda clinic would use thousands of single herbs, hundreds of products and dozens of therapies to bring your skin back to health.
Over 25 years, I have seen, thousands of clients with various skin conditions. It was always their sleep, digestion or immunity that I needed to work with to help them get their healthy skin back! Finding the right remedy was the easiest! But, now, let’s look at some practical ideas to keep your skin healthy as well. But, they may not be suitable if you already have a skin condition. Talk to us then! We love to help!
1. Release the past! Two things. One. Anything that eaten or consumed must come out on time. Your breakfast is flushed 8 hours after its ingestion. Lunch and dinner the same. Two. Skin is also an organ o f elimination. So, if you don’t flush your system regularly, the un-eliminated toxic wastes can end up in the skin and block it. This could be the single cause behind 90% of skin issues! Sweating, urinating and defecating efficiently is the secret of health skin!
2. Avoid. Avoid extreme weather or anything you don’t do well with. Some people hate heat other cold, some moisture others dryness. If these preferences are turning into pain in the neck, it could be a sign of ill health. Talk to your health professional. So is the case with extreme food (too much or too often of anything).
3. Pump nutrients. Eat when your body can digest! Before 2pm is the best time to eat, so that your gut gets at least 4 sun-hours do get your solar plexus to effectively work on your food and absorb it! The better the nutrition, the healthier your skin. Progressively enlarge your breakfast and lunch with low carb items. You will see your general vitality goes up along with your shine on your skin.
4. Hydrate it. Stick to high-water content vegetables with lots of fibers such as lettuce, carrot, cucumber, daikon, fennel and tender asparagus tips. Most low-carb vegetables are fantastic.
5. Herbal teas. Sip a range of herbal teas straight from your garden or from the health-store shelf. Herbal teas are safe and gentle version of strong medicinal herbs! Enjoy a large variety. Teas can tone your skin.
6. Early to bed. If you want your body to repair your skin, follow your body’s schedule. From 9 pm until 12 midnight it works on all cells – repairing and rebuilding.
7. Sweat it out. Exercise will also improve all aspects of wellbeing - blood circulation, digestion, absorption, elimination, sleep and more! Choose the type of exercise that makes you feel good and gives you energy without exhausting you. Walking, jogging, dancing, yoga, or boxing -- you should enjoy it and have fun moving your body. Find a practical and low-cost exercise such as jogging or any other style using your body weight and sweat it out for at least 30 minutes, thrice weekly. Sweating renews your skin.
8. Breathe life. Simple and conscious breathing can work wonders. This siphoning technique sends intelligent messages of cycles and rhythms to every cell in your body. Lets try this. Sit comfortably, place one palm on your belly, and another one on your chest. Here is a simple exercise. Inhale into your belly, let it slightly rise, then keep inhaling into your ribs, expanding the ribcage up and out, letting the air completely fill up your lungs by inhaling all the way up into your chest. Pay loving attention to your breathing and try to feel how your belly, ribs, and chest move. On your exhales, let the air move in the opposite order - chest, ribs and belly sinking in. Make it deeper. Try it for 3 minutes in the beginning. Then you can do this conscious breathing anything from 10-20 minutes.
9. Moisture and oils. A 5 minutes self massage using warm oils (coconut, sesame, olive etc.) before your shower soothes and helps renew your skin. Twice or thrice a week practiced self-massage keeps your skin glowing!
Skin illnesses. Psoriasis and eczema are two common inflammatory conditions among hundreds of other diseases. Both are inflammations. There are conditions that are linked to immune system (auto immune conditions), regenerative functions (degenerative conditions), metabolic depletion (low pigmentation etc.) and more that the skin can be affected with. Ayurveda always tailor a safe and fast working program for each client.
Ayurveda and Metabolic
Dr. Rama Prasad
Sydney Ayurveda Centre has launched its Metabolic Health wing in September due its overwhelming results in managing Metabolic conditions such as high cholesterol, blood sugar (diabetes type 2), arthritis, blood pressure, sleep issues etc.
Sydney Ayurveda Centre uses Kottakkal Arya Vaidya Sala product range to achieve these results along with traditional nutritional and herbal protocol. Drawing from their combined 35 years clinical experience Dr. Anita Maharajpet and Dr. Rama Prasad are excited to help people with weight related metabolic conditions.
“Weight gain alone can create and speed up a multitude of diseases such as Coronary Heart Diseases, High Blood Pressure, Type 2 Diabetes, Abnormal Blood Fats, Metabolic Syndrome, Osteoarthritis, Sleep Apnea, Obesity Hypoventilation Syndrome, Reproductive Problems, Gallstones and many other conditions” – says Dr. Rama Prasad, the senior physician at Sydney Ayurveda Centre.
"Gaining weight happens often goes unnoticed. Loosing weight or reversing any of the above conditions is not difficult with a simple personalized Ayurveda program" - says Dr. Anita. "Boosting energy and vitality, thus the client's immunity is the secret behind helping them loose weight safely and rapidly" – she continued. "Most of our clients who followed their individual herbal and nutritional protocol became symptom-free within 4-6 weeks" - she added.
“In my case, results just in 5 weeks were fantastic! I feel like I am 20 again!” Martin couldn’t contain his joy. He was treated elsewhere for 14+ years for a multitude of health conditions. They were getting worse every year, unfortunately. “I was diagnosed with 4 conditions, and was on 6 drugs - life was miserable and side effects were not pleasant. Then, the doctor at SAC upgraded my eating style, gave me 3 different herbal concoctions while my wife gave me fantastic supported. Now all my symptoms are subsided and my G.P. can’t even explain it.” - Martin continues.
“Ayurveda Metabolic Clinic is just a small steps to show what Ayurveda can do in modern world and for modern people like us. Body hasn’t changed a bit in the last 6,000 years. 6,000 year-young Ayurveda helps us to get better and stay healthy with great ease.” – added Dr. Rama Prasad.
“It’s so nice to help people who suffer, with these simple advises and if done for few days, they see big results:” – Dr Anita concluded.
Bye bye winter, hello spring!
Dr. Rama Prasad
Farewelling winter is something we all are eagerly looking forward to! Locking away your heaters, thermals and jackets is such a blessing!
Smile quickly vanishes, when we realize it’s the spring is the one that’s waiting at the door! While its all sun and shine, spring also packs allergic pollens and inflammation. And that’s when we start running for antihistamine cover! Well, at least for some us, this is the fact.
More than 20% Canberrans and an average of 15% of all Australians suffer from a large range of health condition that fall under “allergic rhinitis”. And the result? Since 2006, the wholesale supplies of oral antihistamines start to increase around July and peaked around October–November. More statistics is here - http://www.aihw.gov.au/allergic-rhinitis/
Do antihistamines cure?
Not at all! They just suppress it, so that you will most probably catch it next year again. Then, why are we taking them at all? Well, its easy. There is a dramatic “symptomatic” relief. But, at what cost? They often result in drowsiness, dizziness, blurred vision, constipation, or dry mouth while putting a deep dent in our immunity! Plus, next year, you need a stronger dose!
Why do we develop it?
Answer is simple.
Our weak immune and respiratory systems react to anything hard to handle such as hair, dust, pollen and scents. Why our immune and respiratory systems are weak? OK, blame it on chemicals in environment and food along with overuse of grains and dairy items.
How do we prevent it?
How to stay away from allergic rhinitis - hay fever and sinus congestion? Ayurveda suggests a number of natural practices, products, therapies and lifestyle upgrades in order to stay on top of the season and have a healthy time.
1. Stop all artificial food additives.
2. Reduce or stop 1) grains (esp. wheat) and all flour base food 2) dairy products (all shapes and forms) and anything cold (food, drinks, clothing, environment etc.)
3. Plan to sweat for at least 20 minutes daily with your chosen exercise. Try to breathe through your nostrils whenever you can.
4. Eat larger warm breakfasts and lunches. Keep dinners light to let the body rest and repair better.
5. Use mild herbs and spices with your food and drinks.
6. Stay warm, keep moving and change your posture frequently.
Remedies for winter and spring:
1. Use teas such as ginger, lemon grass and coriander. A strong FluAway Chai (recipe on our site) is fantastic!
2. Inhale 5 drops of Anu Oil in each nostril daily to flush the mucus and inflammation. (full practice on our site).
3. A practice called Neti is very effective to keep the sinus clear. This may reduce the congestion. (full practice on our site).
4. Your Ayurveda doctor can offer appropriate traditional, safe and effective products after a consultation to cleanse your body, boost your immunity and repair your respiratory system.
sydneyayurvedacentre.com/spring has the full version of some of the above practices.